Does your city want to share and brand its child friendly initiatives, policies and projects with professionals from all over the world? Does your city want to become a learning organisation on how to develop knowledge and measures that support children?
Apply for Host City and welcome 300+ delegates (conference) and 120+ delegates (seminar) from all over the world in your city.
About the Child in the City Foundation
Child in the City is an independent foundation. The main objective of the Child in the City Foundation is to strengthen the position of children in cities, promote and protect their rights, connecting people around these shared objectives and giving a platform for the exchange of research results and good practices directed at the creation of child-friendly cities.
We do this by providing communication platforms for the communities of interest (academics, practitioners, (local) authorities and campaigners for children’s rights) where they can disseminate research and develop good practice for the creation of genuinely child-friendly cities.
The foundation observes 5 general guidelines and encourages national and local networks to translate these into specific local policies addressing local points of focus. The general guidelines are: an holistic, integral and intergenerational approach; the importance of participation for children and young people; and dynamic trade and continuous challenge.
- To strengthen the position of children in cities and to develop child-friendly environments,
- To promote children’s rights and to translate children’s rights in local urban planning.
- To connect professionals around these shared objectives, and giving a platform for research and interesting practices.
- To give children and youngsters a voice in creating supportive environments.
- To improve opportunities to play and to enjoy a rich social and cultural lives.
How do we do this?
- Website: New articles posted Monday – Friday 7-10 articles a week
- Weekly newsletters: Sent every Thursday morning to 4,472 people
- Social media: Facebook 3,033 Likes and 3,346 Followers, Twitter 2,182 Followers, Linkedin Group with 599 members, Instagram 1.299 followers
- Bi-annual World Conferences held in different cities
- Regular Seminars focusing on one specific topic for a more in-depth approach
Who attends Child in the City
‘Child in the City’ provides high quality platforms for those working to develop good practice in the creation of genuinely child-friendly cities. With these platforms, we bring scientists, practitioners, (local) authorities, urban planners, designers and campaigners for children’s rights together to share ideas, experiences and (scientific) evidence regarding child-friendly themes in urban areas and cities. Building child-friendly cities is an essential part of the implementation of the UN Convention on the Right of the Child in a local governance setting. ‘Child in the City’ creates interdisciplinary bridges between different networks and working fields.
Why become a Host City?
- Opportunity to become a learning organisation on how to develop knowledge and measures that support children.
- Opportunity to create an enthusiastic ambiance within your city on how to implement child-friendly measures.
- Welcome 300+ delegates (conference) and 120+ delegates (seminar) from all over the world in your city.
- Opportunity to brand your city and to share your cities’ child friendly initiatives, policies and projects.
- Opportunity for your city to maintain and attract new partners locally and internationally.
- Increase in spending by delegates within the local economy through hotel rooms, meals and tourist activities.
- Be part of a wide media campaign to promote the event in your city via the website, newsletters, mailings and social media.
How to apply
For the complete information brochure and application procedure, please contact our Project Manager:
Marieke Bouman, Project Manager